Activities of the Eco Club, PSG CAS in the year 2012 -2013
Activities in the month of June, 2012
1. June 21, 2012: First members meet of the academic year. Under the Neem tree (West end of Footbal ground). 27 students participated and discussed about the Plan for the year 2012 -2013.
2. June 25, 2012: Introducing Eco Club to I years by arranging a Welcome Desk at the GRD Auditorium.
Indhumathi.R, Vaishnavi.K, Lakshmi.K (all from III BCS).
3. June 25, 2012: Soft launch of the Eco Club Time Table for the Staff and Students of PSG CAS.
Designed by Deepak Viswanathan ( II Msc Electronic Media).
Activities in the month of July, 2012
4. July 6, 2012: Staff Coordinator Jayaprakash.C.R invited as Chief Guest for the Inauguration of Nature Club at Kumaraguru Institute of Technology, Lecture delivered - Basics on Indian Wildlife and Environment, 4.30 pm.
5. July 6, 9, 10 and 11: Performing skit in the I year class rooms. 40 classrooms covered in 4 days after proper rehearsal. Purpose: Membership drive and sensitisation on Nature camps.
Balakrishnan.A, Karthik.K, Sibi Shankar.R, Manickam .T. Deepika.M, Subhadra.M ( III Bcom), Mahalakshmi.G, Priyamavadha.R, Bowya Balika.B ( II Bsc Visual Communication).
6. July 14, 2012: Participation in the Bird Watching Program at Salim Ali Centre for Ornithology and Natural History ( SACON), Anaikatty.
Ragul, Joseph Karthick, Harish ( I Bsc Visual Communication).
and the Staff coordinator.
7. July 14, 2012: Participation in Conserving Biodiversity through Photography, a visual talk by Sachin Rai, Director – Toehold nature trails, New Delhi at Cosmopolitan Club, Race Course, Coimbatore.
Balakrishnan. A, Karthik. K, Sibi Shankar. R, Manickam.T, Deepak Viswanathan, Mahalakshmi.G, Ragul, Joseph Karthick, Harish.V, Subhadra.M and the Staff Coordinator.
8. July 18, 2012: Screening of Shekar Dattatri’s Truth About The Tigers, Sangamam Hall, 3.15 pm. Over 400 came for the event and only 250 could be accommodated in the hall.
9. July 19, 2012: Workshop on Eco Tourism in Nilgiris. Staff Coordinator Jayaprakash.C.R participated on behalf of Palni Hills Conservation Council, Kodaikanal. Venue: Keystone Foundation, Kotagiri, Nilgiris.
10. July 20, 2012: Preparatory meeting for the Nilgiri Biosphere Nature Park (NBNP) trek. 3. 15 pm., Neem tree shade, Football court.
11. July 21, 2012: First trek of the year – a dawn to dusk program at NBNP, Anaikatty, Coimbatore. 55 students attend the event (inclusive of 40 First year students) . Transportation – PSG Institution bus.
Staff on duty:
Professors: Jayaprakash.C.R, Tamilselvan.K, Ramraj.L, Sudhakar.
12. July 22, 2012: Tracking the wetland birds of Coimbatore along with Salim Ali Naturalist’s Forum, at Aachankulam. Attended by Harish, (I BSc Visual Communication). His images of dead fish in the tank was carried out in The Deccan Chronicle, the next day.
13. July 25, 2012: Screening of the Street play performance of 2011 -2012 to freshers. Sangamam Hall, Over 200 attend the event and discussed on the forthcoming Athikadavu trek.
14. July 27, 2012: Riverside walk at Athikadavu, Pilloor in Karamadai Range of Coimbatore Forest Division. 57 students participate in this dawn – dusk exercise. Three bags full of plastic waste was cleared from the river banks. Travel by PSG Institution bus. Staff on duty: C.R.Jayaprakash and Dr.K. Nagarajan (Economics).
15. July 29, 2012: Tracking the birds of Western Ghats along with Salim Ali Naturalist’s Forum at Silent Valley National Park, Mannarghat, Kerala. Harish ( I Bsc Visual Communication) and Niveditha.R.K ( III BSc Zoology) participate in this event.
16. July 29, 2012: Tree species of Coimbatore – A talk by taxonomist Dr.Gopalan, Former Scientist, Botanical Survey of India at Hotel Tamil Nadu. Organised by Osai environmental organisation. Attended by Balakrishnan.A, Karthick.K, Jabez John Anand, Pradip.T and Staff Coordinator Jayaprkash.C.R.
17. July 31, 2012: Communication and Conservation - Guest Lecture by Staff Coordinator Jayaprakash.C.R at Salim Ali Centre for Ornithology and Natural History ( SACON) Attended by Dr. Azeez.P.A, Director SACON, senior scientists and Research scholars. Event arranged by SACON Researchers Forum.
Activities in the month of August 2012
18. August 5, 2012: Tracking the birds of Western Ghats along with Salim Ali Naturalist’s Forum at Narasipuram, Siruvani, Bolampatty Range of Coimbatore Forest Division. Harish ( I Bsc Visual Communication) and Niveditha.R.K ( III BSc Zoology) participate in this event.
19. August 8, 2012: Discussion on Conserving Coimbatore Wetlands. Special invitee – Umesh Maruthachalam from Sri Krishna College of Engineeering and Technology, Coimbatore, Sangamam Hall. News published in The New Indian Express, The Times of India and Dinamani.
20. August 8, 2012: Vinesh ( II MJMC) wins the first prize in the Inter-collegiate Photography Competition held at Satyabhama University, Chennai. S. Semmalar ( II MJMC) wins the second prize in the Short Film Category at the same venue.
21. August 12, 2012: Tracking the birds of Western Ghats along with Salim Ali Naturalist’s Forum at Kovai Courtallam, Siruvani, Bolampatty Range of Coimbatore Forest Division. Harish ( I Bsc Visual Communication) , Niveditha.R.K ( III BSc Zoology), T.Manickam ( III BCom), Sai Sathya ( I Bcom), Deepika ( III Bcom) participated in this event. The group recorded 48 species of birds and 14 species of butterflies. Part of the team was lucky enough to sight a leopard climbing down a tree.
22.August 18, 2012: Guest lecture on ‘Photo Journalism‘ by Staff Coordinator Jayaprakash.C.R at Inaivizhi -2012, conducted by Coimbatore Press Club on behalf of World Photography Day in PSG Institute of Management.
23. August 18 & 19: 10 of the Eco club members display their images in ‘Inaivizhi -2012′, a Photography workshop and competition conducted by Coimbatore Press Club at PSG Institute of Management. 30 members of Eco Club participated in the workshop. Invited speakers: Selvaprakash.L, Chief Photographer, Time Out, Bengaluru, Vijay Milton, Director and Cinematographer, Chennai, Ramji.V, Tamil Nadu Films Entertainment Tax rebate consultation committee member and Jayaprakash.C.R.
Participants who received the Certificates: Niveditha.R.K, Pradeep.K.L, Karthick.K, Manickam.T, Shibi Sankar.R, Deepika.M, Balakrishnan.A, Jabez John.A, Harish.V, Sai Nehali.U, Rohini, Sathya Devi.N, Shalini.S, Aashika.A, Shobana.G, Kiruthiga.P, Mahalakshmi.G, Divya Kannan, Vandana Rajshree, Vinesh.C, Karunanithi.T, Manimaran.S.G, Manoj.B., Prakash.S, Arunkumar.T, Kirubakaran.B.
24.August 26, 2012: Tracking the birds of Western Ghats along with Salim Ali Naturalist’s Forum at Jallipara, Mannarghat taluk, Palghat, Kerala. Harish, Rahul ( I Bsc Visual Communication) , Niveditha.R.K ( III BSc Zoology), Vandana.R, Sathiya Devi, Ashika ( I BSc Nutrition and Dietetics) participated in this event. The group recorded species of birds and species of butterflies.
25. September 2, 2012: Tracking the birds of Western Ghats along with Salim Ali Naturalist’s Forum at Ukkulam, at Semmedu, Bolampatty Range of Coimbatore Forest Division. Participants: Hairsh.V, Raghul, Vishnupriya.N, Vandhana R, Ashika A, Sai Nehali, Suganya.R, Shobana G, Kiruthiga and the Staff Coordinator Jayaprakash.C.R.
26. September 5: Basics of Photography - Workshop on making better images. Presentation by Staff Coordinator Jayaprakash.C.R, Satyam Hall.
September 6: Kirubakaran.R and Karunanithi.T ( both from II MJMC) bagged first prizes in Intercollegiate Photography and Poster Making Competition, Moksha-2012, conducted by the Media School of Karunya University at The Grand Regency, Coimbatore. 26 students had submitted their photographs, posters and artworks for this event.
26. September 7, 2012: Inauguration of Photography Club at Ranganathan Engineering Club, Narasipuram, Coimbatore. Staff Coordinator Jayaprakash.C.R as the Chief Guest.
27. September 7: DJ Memorial Photography Exposition at Kasthuri Srinivasan Art Gallery organised by Lakshmi Machine Works. Over 50 members visited the gallery and interacted with the country’s top Wildlife photographers TNA Perumal, Maruthachalam.K, Dheerthiman Mukhergee and Coimbatore’s Prakash.
28.September 9: Tracking the birds of Western Ghats along with Salim Ali Naturalist’s Forum at Range of Coimbatore Forest Division. Participants: Hairsh.V, Raghul,
29. September 12. Screening of the Film Mountains of the Mist, Sangamam Hall, 3 pm.
30. September 13 -15: Nature camp at Palni Hills Conservation Council, Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu. 23 students with 2 Staff coordinators participated in this event. A Street Play was performed at Moir View Point, Berijam Range of Kodaikanal Forest Division with support from the Forest officials there. Nilgiri Wood Pigeon, an endemic bird of Western Ghats was photo captured by our photographers.
31. September 17: Release of the trailer “Pear & Play”, a Short Film on the Kodai nature camp.
Students involved: Vinesh and Semmalar of II MJMC. Photographs of Harish ( I Vis Com), Kanaga Prabha ( I BBM), Loganathan ( I MJMC) were also shown to the members. Sangamam Hall, 3 pm.
32.September 26: Heart beat - 2012, An intra collegiate event conducted by the Manavar Manram of Coimbatore. Eco Club members Balakrishnan.A and Manickam.T win the Second and Third Prizes respectively in the Photography Competition.
Activities in the month of October
33. October 12: Habitat- the street play team wins the First Prize for the Inter Collegiate skit competition conducted at Tamil Nadu Agriculture University on behalf of OSAI, Tamil Nadu Forest Department.
34. October 13: Harish.V wins the II Prize in the Scott Kelby’s Worldwide Photo Walk, an instant Photographic Competition conducted by Photography Club of Coimbatore.
35. October 20: Habitat - The street play team makes a guest performance in the All India Canara Bank Employees Association Silver Jubilee Meet at PSG College of Technology.
Activities in the month of November
36. November 9: Staff Coordinator Jayaprakash.C.R presents a Special Lecture on Women and Environment at Maharani College of Arts and Science for Women, Dharapuram. Event organised by Water Resource Wing of Public Works Department, Govt. of Tamil Nadu.
Activities for the month of December
37. December 5: Screening of Mountains of the Monsoon, a Short film Directed by Sandesh Kadur for BBC at Sangamam Hall 3.30 pm. Free DVD’s distributed to the members of Pear and Play event.
38. December 12: Meeting to decide the works in 2013, Football Court tree shade, PSG CAS, December 12, 3 pm.
39: December 12: Wetlands and Wildlife Conservation: Staff Coordinator C.R.Jayaprakash.C.R as an invited speaker at the Members meeting of Rotary Club of Texcity, Coimbatore, December 12, 2012.
40: December 15: Composing through the Eye, Special lecture to the Photographers of Arvind Eye Hospital, Coimbatore by Staff Coordinator Jayaprakash.C.R.
41: December 16: What is Good Cinema ? Special lecture by Theodore Baskaran at Indian Chamber of Commerce, Coimbatore. 5 members attend the event.
42: December 18 & 19: Residential Training on Architecture Photography at The Banyan Tree Resort, Setthumadai, Pollachi. Staff Coordinator Jayaprakash.C.R conducted the training for photo enthusiasts Jaanu.S, Harish.V, Priyanka.K, Karunanithi.T, Siddharth.S.
43: December 21 -23: International Festival on Short Films and Documentary, Pondicherry Central University. Staff Coordinator Jayaprakash.C.R, Loganathan and Balakrishnan.A attend the event.
44: December 23: HSBC Bird Race at Coimbatore: Jabez John, Niveditha.R.K, Manoj Kumar. G and Harish.V pariticipate in the event conducted by SACON. The team identified 110 birds.
45: December 24: Semmalar Annam.S wins an Estilo (Suzuki) Car by becoming the Winner of the contest ‘Sagalakala vallavan’ at Kalaignar TV, Chennai.
46: December 27: Street Play at Bharathi Vizha, KRC Campus, Near Diamond Theatre, Tiruppur. Organised by Tamil Nadu Art and Literary Association. 10 members perform in the play on Conserving the Environment.
47: January 2 -7, 2013: Wildlife Estimate at Anamalai Tiger Reserve. Jabez John Anand, Balakrishnan.A, Harish.V, Karthick.K and Rahul attended the event. Two of them sighted leopards and all sighted elephants.
48: January 4 -6: International Photography Festival, Kannadi - 2013 at Madura College, Madurai. Seven students attended the Festival for three days.
49: January 7: Distribution of Eco Club Shirts to the Street play team: Special Address: Dr.R.Rajendran, Principal, PSG CAS, Sangamam Hall, 3.30 pm.
50: January 9 -11: Nature Camp at Perumbarai Environment Centre, Dindigul. 20 students participate in this 3 day event and identified 78 species of birds. Staff coordinator Jayaprakash.C.R and Joint Staff coordinator Prof. Deepa ( BBM) organised the camp with support from Perumbarai Bird Watchers’ Society Secretary Arun Shankar.S
51: January 12: Street Play at Kendriya Vidyalaya, Sulur. Theme: Wildlife and Conservation.
52: January 12: Conserving Wetlands, Special Address by Staff Coordinator Jayaprakash.C.R at Kendriya Vidyalaya, Sulur as a part of their Workshop on Importance of Research in Basic Sciences.
53: January 21: Regular Meeting, Football Court West end. 3.30 pm
54: January 22: Street play on Wildlife and Conservation at BrookeFields Mall, R.S.Puram, 5 pm as a part of Coimbatore Vizha - 2013 organised by Young Indians of Confederation of Indian Industries ( CII) Coimbatore Chapter.
55. January 22: Greenathon 2013: Participation in the inter collegiate event at Bannari Amman Institute of Technology, Sathy ( BITS). Priyanka.S ( I MJMC) and Rakul.V (I BSc Visual Communication) win Frist and Third prizes respectively in the Shutterbug contest.
56.January 23: Greenathon 2013: Anand. P ( I MSc Electronic Media) wins First Prize in Green Camus photo shoot at Greenathon 2013. 6 students participated in this event on behalf of Eco Club, PSG CAS.
57. January 24: Environmental Film Festival - Creating emotional bonding with humans and animals at Sangamam Hall, 9.30 am - 4.30 pm. With support from Animal Rescuers Coimbatore as a part of Coimbatore Vizha - 2013 Celebrations.
58. January 25 -27: Wetland Birds Estimate in Tirunelveli. Jabez John Anand (III BA English) and Harish.V ( I BSc Visual Communication) participate in this event.
59.January 29: Staff coordinator Jayaprakash.C.R delivers a talk on Wildlife and Media Coverage, as a resource person at the State Level Symposium on Human Dimension in Wildlife Conservation at Vellalar College of Arts and Science for Women, Erode, 3 pm.
60. January 29: Staff coordinator Jayaprakash.C.R delivers a talk on Corporates and Conservation for BCom students of Vellalar College of Arts and Science for Women, Erode, 11 am.
Activities in February 2013
61.February 1: World Wetlands Day. Special lecture by Piyush Manush, Founder - Speak Out Salem at Sathyam Hall, PSG CAS, 10 am. News published in The Hindu Metro Plus, The Times of India, The New Indian Express and Dinamani.
62: February 11:Screening of Smog Inc - a documentary on Air pollution in Indian roads. Produced by Centre for Science and Environment, New Delhi. Sangamam Hall, 3.15 pm.
63.February 12: Staff Coordinator Jayaprakash.C.R invited for the event as a Panel member for Green Words for a Green World: Eco consciousness in Literature -UGC sponsored National Seminar at PSGR Krishnammal College for Women. Conducted by the English Department.
64.February 28: Street Play at the National Symposium on Technology at Mahalingam Engineering College and Technology, Pollachi. 20 members including Staff Coordinator Jayaprakash participate in this event.
Activities in March 2013
65. Feb 28 and March 1: Nature camp at Parambikulam Tiger Reserve, Palghat, Kerala for 16 students. Coordinated by Jayaprakash.C.R.
66. March 1 -3: Wildlife Estimate at Srivilliputhur Wildlife Sanctuary. Organised by State Forest Department with support from WWF and Wildlife Association of Rajapalayam (WAR). Harish.V and Jabez John Anand participate.
67. March 2: Kalpana -13, Photography Competition at Sasi Creative School of Business, Kirubakaran.R wins Second Prize.
68: March 2: Colours of Invisible - The Media Fest 2013: Organised by Ecomwel Chennai, Kirubakaran.R wins First Prize in the Photography competition.