Department of Post Graduate Studies in Mass Communication and Journalism
SDM College (Autonomous) Ujire – 574240, D.K. Karnataka
[Re-Accredited ‘A’ Grade with CGPA 3.59 by NAAC]
National Seminar on
JOURNALISM AND SOCIETY
March 1st & 2nd, 2013
Venue: College Seminar Hall
Sri Dharmasthala Manjunatheshwara College is an autonomous college of Mangalore University managed by SDME Society. The institution is guided by the visionary leadership of Padmabhushan Dr.D.Veerendra Heggade, Dharmadhikari of Shri Kshethra Dharmasthala. The college is identified as “College with Potential for Excellence.
SDM College offers 23 graduate and 7 post graduate programmes. The college granted Autonomous status by UGC, and is also Re-Accredited by NAAC at ‘A’ Grade with CGPA 3.59 out of 4. Being the recipient of various awards from different quarters, SDM College has marked its presence in the domain of higher education at the national level.
In keeping with the tradition of educational excellence, the college established the Postgraduate Department of Mass Communication and Journalism in 2008 with the vision of emitting good quality journalist outfitted with professional skills. The department envisions the empowerment of the students by providing a holistic approach to academics.
- Well equipped multimedia studio.
- Community Radio.
- Computer Lab.
Ø Production of weekly news bulletin ‘Nammura Varthe’ for the local TV channel.
Ø A daily practice journal ‘SDM Gazette’.
Ø Fortnightly photo gazette ‘SSShots’.
Ø Regular ‘Field Visit’.
Ø Regular guest lectures by prominent media practitioners.
Ø Short films.
Ø Radio programmes.
Ø Live Interviews.
Ø Panel Discussions and many more…
Ø Summer placements.
Ø Campus recruitment.
About the Seminar:
The Department with an objective to facilitate the academic interaction with media expert’s, political thinkers, journalists, and to provide exposure to media world, is organizing a National Seminar on “Journalism and Society”.
“Journalism and Society”.
Ø Rural Development
Ø Development Reporting
Ø Journalism in Education and Education in Journalism
Ø Journalism and Public Awareness
Ø Page 3 and society
Ø Social Media and Public Participation
Ø Journalism and Ethics
Call for papers:
We invite papers from participants and the thrust of papers should conform to the main theme and sub themes.
- Papers on the main theme and sub-themes of the seminar are invited for presentation.
- The paper shall be neatly typed in 1.5 spaces in M.S Word using 12 font sizes in Times New Roman font type.
- Participants who wish to present paper related to any one of the sub-themes are required to send an abstract of not more than 500 words on or before January 15th 2013.
- The selected papers will be confirmed by January 17th 2013.
- Last Date for the submission of full paper: 20-01-2013
- Paper must be original in nature; the author has to duly acknowledge the sources in the foot note.
- Paper can also be conceptual, analytical case studies or empirical in nature.
- The authors have to give bibliography at the end of paper.
- In case of joint authors, one of the authors will be eligible to present the paper.
- The paper presentation will be in the PowerPoint presentation format and open discussion.
- The time limit for presentation of paper will be intimated at the seminar venue.
- Abstracts and full paper can be mailed to email [email protected].
The two day conference will be attended by media professionals, research scholars, academics and students from the field of media and communication. It will provide an open platform to critically analyze the interface between journalism and society.
Competitions for Students
- Candid - Street Shots
- Maximum 2 photos from one candidate.
- Photos should be 8×12 in size.
- Originality is expected, edited photos shall not be entertained.
- Photos should not publish any where before.
- Soft and Hard Copy of Photo Prints should reach on or before January 30th 2013.
- Group Competition:
- Mad Ad.
Only 6 members in a team, Time: 3+1 Min.
Only 2 members in a team, Time: 30 Min.
- News Bulletin
Only 2 members in a Team, Time: 1.30 Hours, Size: A3, Black and White
- Individual Competitions:
- TV News Anchoring
1 member from one college, Time: 3 Minutes. Script and Recording facility will be provided.
- Piece to Camera (P to C)
1 member from one college, Time: 1 Minute.
- Feature Writing
One member from one college, Time: 30 minutes.
- Report Writing
One member from one college, Time: 20 minutes.
- Topics for the above Competitions will be given on spot.
- Team should bring all the required materials.
- Registration fee for professionals/Academicians, Research Scholars – Rs. 400.
- For student participants registration fee Rs. 150.
- Registration fee includes boarding and lodging (For accommodation kindly intimate in advance)
- Last date for registration is 20th Feb.2013.
- For more registration form use photocopy or download from the website www.sdmujire.in
- The registration form and correspondence regarding the conference should be sent to [email protected]
Sri. S K Sheshachandrike
Sri. Ishwar Daitote
Sri. Dinesh Amin Mattu
Sri. G N Mohan
Editor-in-Chief, avadhimag, Bangalore
For More Information Contact
Prof. Bhaskar Hegde
Mobile No: 9448911926 Mobile No: 9845183586
Department of Mass Communication and Journalism,
Shri Dharmasthala Manjunatesheshwara College, Ujire,
D.K. District, Karnataka – 574240
Telephone No (O) 08256-236101
Email: [email protected]
SDM College, Ujire is located 65 km from Mangalore, towards famous temple town Dharmasthala. A good number of state busses ply from different part of the state. Nearest railway station is Mangalore. For those who come from Bangalore, Bantwal near B.C. Road is Nearest Railway Station.