Print and Outdoor Design ad Layout — Presentation Transcript
1. Advanced Design Strategies Use variety to spice up your ads Visual boredom occurs when predictability and mirror-like symmetry dominate a document Carefully select backgrounds to accentuate figures Use the golden rectangle
2. Introduction Effective ad design and layout starts with a clear understanding of a project’s goals and written content. Headlines, body copy and assorted visuals must already be figured out before you begin
3. Basic Design Strategies Keep your layouts simple E.g. Large picture at the top, headline underneath, body copy in 2 or 3 columns under the headline, logo or address in the bottom right-hand corner.
4. Basic Design Strategies Create Unity Have one central focus or focal point where the eye has the tendency to concentrate on which is usually the visual or even the headline. Create Asymmetrical Balance Seesaw analogy
5. Basic Design Strategies Create Contrast Using contrasting sizes, shapes, lines, typestyles and figures draw attention to key items you want to emphasize
6. Basic Design Strategies Create Emphasis through Proportion Important ideas or figures should be emphasized by making them larger, bolder, brighter or essentially different from the main components of the rest of the ads.
7. Grouping Design Strategies Group by using similar shapes, sizes, textures and colors Break up long lists Group ideas in ones, twos or threes By finding relationships between them and making those relationships obvious E.g. positive-negative, graphics-words-numbers Up to three only, 4 is visually too much
8.Color Design Strategies Black and white is boring. Color is EXCITING . Excessive color detracts from copy Color works because of its contrast with non-colored areas; use it in one or two strong clustered areas rather than scattering it through out your ad.
9.Photo Design Strategies Photo design and layout strategies center on two ideas: Make the mind group things to increase communicability Bring items in and out of focus to suggest and emphasize importance
10.Photo Design Strategies Before taking a shot decide on: The best shape and proportion to suit your subject How main figures should interact with the frame edges How much detail you want in the frame Your central point of interest How you want to link images together What your point of view will be
Submitted by Karthiyayini, I MJMC, April 2012.